We need to deploy Dynamics GP on multiple clients on different computers, the clients are having different security roles.
We need to deploy client server architecture to deploy Dynamics GP clients on different computers.
- First create a Database server (in our case Database server is SQL SERVER) after creating this we need to configure this server to accept multiple client’s connections over LAN.
- To Configure SQL Server, we need to open SQL SERVER CONFIGURATION MANAGER . Go to SQL server Network configuration.
- Click on Protocols for server
- Enable NAMED PIPES and TCP/IP protocols.
- Open TCP/IP properties by clicking on TCP/IP protocol, Open IP Address tab.
- Scroll down to IPAll and make TCP Dynamics Port blank.
- Enter your port number to TCP Port (1433 is most used SQL server port) apply the changes and click OK
- Change SQL server and SQL server Browser Start mode to Automatic by going to their properties.
- Our next step is to tell your system/server about which port to open for accepting the SQL connection
- To do this first close servers Firewall (if don’t want to do this for security reasons, pass SQL server application to allow applications in Advance Firewall option) navigate to the advance option in firewall windows.
- Create new inbound rule, select rule type ‘Port’, press next select port type ‘TCP’ press next enter port 1433(or which port is selected) press next select allow all connections and by moving and pressing next, finish it.
- Create new outbound rule, select rule type ‘Port’, press next select port type ‘TCP’ press next enter port 1433(or which port is selected) press next select allow all connections and by moving and pressing next, finish it.
- Next, we need to install Dynamics GP on our server machine for administrative purpose and create data base tables (dynamics GP system tables and dynamics GP company tables).
- After successful installation of GP on server side we need to install GP clients on different systems and while installation we need to pass our server’s SQL server name and instance or we can pass server’s IP along with port number like (192.168.1.1, 1433 another way myserver\Sqlserver) format is first machine name\ server instance name) and need to pass SQL server authentication credentials.
- After installation of GP, 2 tier client server architecture will be successfully implemented in such a way multiple clients will point to one server.
If SQL server configuration manager not found then
*Special thanks to Arsal Mahmood for writing this article and permission to post it on this blog*